Most people desire to have beautiful thick hair but unfortunately this is not always the case for many men and women. Medication, hormonal changes, over-processing, sunlight exposure, lifestyle habits, diets, pollution, genetic problems, aging and many other factors can stop or inhibit optimal hair growth. If you want to re-grow hair that has been lost by such factors, there are various options. You can choose harsh chemicals, expensive surgeries, lifetime supplements or simply go for natural remedies like olive oil. There are other natural remedies available but olive oil for hair growth is one of the best options. We’ve already looked at some of the best home remedies for hair growth, and we highly recommend you try a few or even combine two or three for the best and fastest results. But for now, let’s see why this is one of our favorites.
How does olive oil promote hair growth?
Olive oil has been shown to promote hair growth through various processes that are natural and fast acting. The oil restricts DTH hormone production; DTH is known to shrink the shafts of hair follicles. The antioxidants in olive oil make your hair very soft and healthy repairing the damages of chemical-based hair care especially since the oil acts as a natural conditioner. It moisturizes and nourishes the scalp making it healthy for the hair follicles to thrive. Olive oil promotes hair growth in three various ways that include the following;
- Cleansing – It removes all buildup of dust, dirt and impurities. It also has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties fighting against attacks on the scalp and killing hair lice, treating dandruff, dry scalp and hair loss.
- Improving blood circulation – Olive oil is applied through massaging it into the hair and scalp thus improving blood supply to the scalp making the hair soft and shiny. It penetrates deep to nourish all shafts and has anti-inflammatory properties to sooth irritations. This increases oxygen supply while balancing the scalp pH levels.
- Nourishment and nutrition – Olive oil contains mono-unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients that strengthen the hair follicles from root to tip. These nutrients also thicken the hair strands.
How to use olive oil for hair growth
Although it is widely known that olive oil can help you gain thicker strands and re-grow hair follicles in places where you lost more, this is only possible if you know how to use it. Proper application and use will guarantee you best results. Nonetheless, the procedure is simple and does not require any professional knowledge. It involves the following;
1. Sebum removal
This is the overnight process used to remove the sebum buildup that prevents hair growth. To achieve sebum removal;
- Warm olive oil and then apply on your hair and scalp massaging it gently to spread to each area of your scalp
- Wrap your hair in a night cap or damp towel and leave it overnight (or just a few hours to overnight)
- Wash it with shampoo and repeat the process regularly
As with anything on this website, it’s always best to use the highest quality products you can find and afford. In this case, an extra virgin olive oil would be best, in particular look for organic (but this is not essential for good results).
2. Olive oil consumption
Incorporating olive oil into daily diet has been proven to deliver several health benefits include healthier hair. Mix one tablespoon olive oil with a dash of lemon juice and fill up the glass with water. Stir and drink on a daily basis. You can also use olive oil as your salad dressing or as your cooking oil.
While topical application works best when using olive oil for hair loss, incorporating it into your diet can help, and is actually beneficial for many other reasons. So you might as well start replacing vegetable oils with a healthier extra virgin olive oil. Just make sure you’re using a high quality product.
3. Olive oil mixes for hair
Besides consuming olive oil and using it directly on your scalp, you can mix it with other ingredients and natural remedies known to promote hair growth. The common examples include the following;
- Olive oil, honey and egg white – add one tablespoon of each ingredient, mix and apply on the scalp. Cover for about 30 minutes and then wash using a shampoo repeating the process once in every two weeks.
- Olive oil and cayenne pepper – gently heat up a cup of olive oil on medium heat and add a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. Allow the mixture to cool, massage it in your scalp and leave for 4 hours before washing and shampooing.
- Olive oil with garlic – add a cup of olive oil to 4 cloves garlic and store in a jar for two weeks. Shake the mixture, warm the oil and massage it in your scalp. After one hour, rinse off.
There are many other olive oil for hair growth combinations that people use to improve hair growth. Some include olive oil for hair loss mixtures with avocado, coconut oil, tea tree oil, lemon oil, castor oil, honey and cinnamon, rosemary oil, pepper mint, cumin seeds, lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, fenugreek and Vitamin E among many others.
It’s all about following the above steps consistently. You are unlikely to see immediate results, and it can take a few weeks before this starts working. Some people might see very fast results, while others won’t see much results at all using these methods. It depends on your hair type, and many other factors. The good news is that we’ve got plenty of other hair loss remedies on this website, and you can keep trying until you find one that works well for you.