Hair in unwanted places. Yuck. Who wants that!? Both men and women suffer from this, but predominately it is more a problem for women. Having additional hair growth is not always seen as an attractive feature and therefore people can spend hundreds and thousands of dollars trying to reverse the effects of unwanted hair growth.
Unwanted hair can result from many causes such as genetics, hormonal imbalances, menstrual problems (in women) and the use of certain medications.
Hair removal itself should not be a toxic process and we’re happy to confirm that research and experience has taught us that nature offers some of the best solutions when it comes to hair removal. This post aims to provide you with valuable information on the natural home remedies that can help with hair removal.
Home Remedies For Hair Removal
Which are the most effective natural home remedies for unwanted hair removal that you can easily prepare using readily available materials? Below is a list of the best remedies:
- Turmeric Paste
- Lemon / sugar mixture
- White Pepper / Camphor formula
- Banana / Oatmeal Scrub
- Alum / Rosewater formula
As you may already know, organic substances such as fruits, plant juices or herbs usually contain a number of active ingredients with various effects on the body. Each of the above listed remedies has active ingredients helping with suppressing hair growth, masking hair or exfoliating the skin, among other actions.
1. Turmeric Powder
Turmeric has been used in the treatment of skin infections because of its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. When it comes to hair removal, turmeric suppresses hair growth. It is not clear how it achieves this but some evidence indicates turmeric contains certain active ingredients that interfere with the metabolic process that feed hair follicles.
How to Use Turmeric
- Take 1 or 2 teaspoonfuls of turmeric powder (or more depending on the part you want to remove hair from).
- Mix the turmeric powder with enough quantity of milk, rose water or clean water (mix the turmeric powder with rice flour, ground oats or gram flour for thick hair) until it forms a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on the areas with unwanted hair and wait for 15 to 20 minutes or until the past dries.
- Wash the dried turmeric paste off your body with warm water.
2. Lemon And Sugar Mixture
Lemon juice mixed with sugar and water is a powerful exfoliator. It bleaches the face naturally. Lemon juice alone helps to lighten the color of hair. In essence, the formula has three active ingredients working synergistically to remove unwanted hair from different parts of the body. This formula works well for facial hair.
Please note however that lemon contains large amounts of citric acid, which may irritate the skin if used on sensitive areas of the body.
How to Use Lemon/Sugar Mixture
- Take 2 tablespoons of sugar and 50mls (10 tablespoons) of water and mix them in a bowl.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix very well.
- Apply the resultant mixture on the target area following the direction of the hair growth on the face.
- Wait for it to sit on the targeted area for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water rubbing against the area gently with your hands.
- Repeat the above procedure twice or three times a week for better results.
3. White Pepper And Camphor Formula
White pepper and camphor are very active when it comes to the removal of unwanted hair. It is believed that white pepper and camphor are toxic to hair roots. The active ingredients in these remedies inhibit the growth of hair at its roots causing them to fall off.
As with lemon, please take note that camphor and white pepper are extremely strong and therefore can cause a burning sensation on the skin, especially if used on sensitive areas of the body. This remedy is recommended for use only in removal of unwanted hair on legs.
How to Use White Pepper/Camphor Formula
- Grind 2 tablespoons of white pepper to a fine powder and mix it with camphor in a sizeable bowl.
- For better mixing of the two ingredients, use almond oil (mix until it forms a paste).
- Apply the paste sparingly on the targeted areas of the legs and wait for 10 to 15 minutes (longer use could damage the skin).
- Wash the paste off after 15 minutes and the hair will come off alongside the paste.
- Repeat the process as necessary.
4. Banana And Oatmeal Scrub
Banana fruit is smooth, tender and sweet to taste. It has the effect of leaving the skin supple and soft. However, it needs to be mixed with oatmeal to possess hair removal capabilities. It is believed that oatmeal causes exfoliation of the skin because of its roughness while banana acts as a skin cleanser.
How to Use Banana/Oatmeal Scrub
- Take 1 or 2 well-ripened banana fruits and place them in a sizeable bowl and mash them into a paste.
- Then add 1 or 2 teaspoons of oatmeal and mix thoroughly.
- Apply the paste sparingly on the parts of the body with unwanted hair, rubbing it in a circular motion.
- Allow the paste to dry off on your skin for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash off the paste completely using warm water. The paste will come off along with the unwanted hair.
- Repeat the entire procedure weekly or fortnightly for better results.
5. Alum And Rosewater Formula
Alum is an age-old natural hair removal remedy that has been used for years by Asian women (especially those from India and Pakistan). It works well if used alongside rosewater and olive oil. Finely ground Alum Rock or Alum powder can help with exfoliating skin while the olive oil cleanses it leaving it smooth, soft and supple.
How to Use Alum/Rosewater Formula
- Take half a tablespoon of alum powder into a sizeable bowl and add water.
- Mix the powder and the rosewater thoroughly with the use of a spoon.
- Apply the solution with cotton wool on the body parts with unwanted hair.
- Let it sit on the skin until it dries and do it again for about an hour (do not exceed 15 minutes if you feel a burning sensation or irritation on your skin).
- Wash off the solution from your body and then dab some sesame or olive oil to add moisture to the area.
- Repeat the procedure fortnightly or monthly as required.
There you have it. Discussed above are the five best home remedies effective in removing unwanted hair from different parts of the body. Being natural, they are not associated with any side effects, although, some are too strong to be used on sensitive body parts. You will have to use a different method and amount for removing unwanted hair on your upper lip or face, then you would on your legs for example. Just like other home remedies, these formulas take some time to produce results – therefore, you need to exercise a certain level of patience to see the desired results.